Star Wars Theme Group Build

I have the one that has the white metal Han in carbonite.

Have Boba painted up, but not Han yet
View attachment 119641

I really wanted to pick up the Jango Fett version as well (which is just a few sprue piece differences) but that is out of my price range at this point
Nice, I know I have a couple Jango Slave I. I have a Fine Molds that is in a blue box that I wanna say is 1/72 but don't remember for sure. I got it considerably cheaper than this Boba one. It has completely different graphics on it.

Sorry guys, I had to start. My weekend and coming week will be busy. This weekend I am tasked with repairing our fence that was damaged during the tornadoes/high straight-line wind, earlier this month.
Next week is just busy.
With that said I have my cockpit completed and one wing being taped.
I still want to try lighting inside. My micro LEDs should be here this afternoon.

20240711_123329.jpg

20240711_130723.jpg

20240711_130731.jpg

20240711_130741.jpg

20240711_130748.jpg

20240710_160812.jpg

Well, the light idea is a bust. I've been trying for almost an hour to have lights in the cockpit. I think I shouldn't have gotten warm white and should have gotten the bright white or even red, but, live and learn.
I think it will be fine without lights.

View attachment 119744

Are you struggling to position them? Or is it something to do with the wiring? If it's the colour - could you paint the LED's with a super light coating of red? Or even find some red cellophane or transparent plastic?

Okay, well - since Gary has made a start, I'll make a start myself. In my introductory post I mentioned I built the ST-321 about 20 years ago but I had no idea what I was doing then and it was a shoddy job. I made it a bucket list item that I would re-do it properly one day and now, here we are. I've learned so much about model building in all the years since so I'm hoping I can realise the dream I had/have.

First up - detaching the pieces from the sprues and doing a lot of tidying up, removing flashing and sanding. I was a little worried about the condition of the plastic after 30 years but it seems to have held up well.

The upper stabiliser has a bend in the thinner part which I'll need to deal with later. I've seen some other builders grapple with this and the results have been largely good.

1000018658.jpg

1000018657.jpg

1000018748.jpg

1000018747.jpg

1000018746.jpg

1000018752.jpg

1000018754.jpg

Are you struggling to position them? Or is it something to do with the wiring? If it's the colour - could you paint the LED's with a super light coating of red? Or even find some red cellophane or transparent plastic?
It was not really a position issue as much as it was a wiring problem. I wanted 2 lights but they did not want to light together.
I connected both positive wires together and both negative wires to each other. Sometimes one would light but not the other one or neither would light. I connected resistors to them and still nothing, so I settled for just one light. I feel the light I have in there isn't bright enough since it is a warm white instead of a bright white.
I decided to leave it in the cockpit since it is superglue in place, and it would be more trouble to remove it than just leave it. Maybe I'll extend the wiring and try to make what I have work. If not, it's fine. Models are a great stress reliever, except where wires are involved lol :p

Okay, well - since Gary has made a start, I'll make a start myself. In my introductory post I mentioned I built the ST-321 about 20 years ago but I had no idea what I was doing then and it was a shoddy job. I made it a bucket list item that I would re-do it properly one day and now, here we are. I've learned so much about model building in all the years since so I'm hoping I can realise the dream I had/have.

First up - detaching the pieces from the sprues and doing a lot of tidying up, removing flashing and sanding. I was a little worried about the condition of the plastic after 30 years but it seems to have held up well.

The upper stabiliser has a bend in the thinner part which I'll need to deal with later. I've seen some other builders grapple with this and the results have been largely good.

View attachment 119757

View attachment 119758

View attachment 119759

View attachment 119760

View attachment 119765

View attachment 119761

View attachment 119763
Thay is going to an awesome build!

It was not really a position issue as much as it was a wiring problem. I wanted 2 lights but they did not want to light together.
I connected both positive wires together and both negative wires to each other. Sometimes one would light but not the other one or neither would light. I connected resistors to them and still nothing, so I settled for just one light. I feel the light I have in there isn't bright enough since it is a warm white instead of a bright white.
I decided to leave it in the cockpit since it is superglue in place, and it would be more trouble to remove it than just leave it. Maybe I'll extend the wiring and try to make what I have work. If not, it's fine. Models are a great stress reliever, except where wires are involved lol :p

Gary - have you ever considered lighting kits for Lego? I used them all the time now - having moved away from resistors and soldering. There's a company down here in Australia called Light My Bricks which has an American affiliate. They sell lighting kits which are plug and play - no wiring required - and they have tonnes of options for small areas. I started using them for my Lego builds and have since started using them with my model kits. They are outstanding and I am going to light my Shuttle with them.

Gary - have you ever considered lighting kits for Lego? I used them all the time now - having moved away from resistors and soldering. There's a company down here in Australia called Light My Bricks which has an American affiliate. They sell lighting kits which are plug and play - no wiring required - and they have tonnes of options for small areas. I started using them for my Lego builds and have since started using them with my model kits. They are outstanding and I am going to light my Shuttle with them.
Thanks! That's a great idea!

Well, the light idea is a bust. I've been trying for almost an hour to have lights in the cockpit. I think I shouldn't have gotten warm white and should have gotten the bright white or even red, but, live and learn.
I think it will be fine without lights.

View attachment 119744
I found that it didn't look that good in daylight with all my extra lighting but when I put the lighting on when it was darker with no extra lights it looked a whole lot better. Pantherman

Latest posts

Back