USS Texas 1/700 Scale

base coat hand painted, no air brush, i think hand painting gives it a better look. Its a custom color i mixed.

Not sure i like the army painter wet pallet (in image background) as it sure does water down the paint more than i expected.

I got lucky only 3 tiny guns and a life raft fell off during base coat

20240907_035449.jpg

Well she is done, i used a paper flag until i get my waterslide inkjet paper in. I did not use any of the decals that came with it because they are black and would not show up. So when my paper gets here i will print some with white letters.

I considered painting the life rafts, but i may do that another day. For now im happy with it.

Hint: whoever builds this kit, put the bow flag pole and the tower "wide antenna" (metal piece) on last, i must have banged them both 50 times, bent one to pieces and broke the flag pole 5x lol....

Actually put all the metal pieces on last. I did not use them (other than the antenna) as i found out that this ship was fitted for the cranes and plane takeoff pad after she had been in service for many years. I did mount the 2 towers for those but not the metal parts or the planes. I will save those for another project.

Also at some later date i may add some chain for the anchors. I noticed the sprue joints showed up on the big guns, they were black n did not show till i made them white, someday ill trim n repaint.

20240909_233812.jpg20240909_233740.jpg20240909_233737.jpg20240909_233734.jpg20240909_233720.jpg20240909_233710.jpg20240909_233706.jpg

Last edited:
Well she is done, i used a paper flag until i get my waterslide inkjet paper in. I did not use any of the decals that came with it because they are black and would not show up. So when my paper gets here i will print some with white letters.

I considered painting the life rafts, but i may do that another day. For now im happy with it.

Hint: whoever builds this kit, put the bow flag pole and the tower "wide antenna" (metal piece) on last, i must have banged them both 50 times, bent one to pieces and broke the flag pole 5x lol....

Actually put all the metal pieces on last. I did not use them (other than the antenna) as i found out that this ship was fitted for the cranes and plane takeoff pad after she had been in service for many years. I did mount the 2 towers for those but not the metal parts or the planes. I will save those for another project.

Also at some later date i may add some chain for the anchors. I noticed the sprue joints showed up on the big guns, they were black n did not show till i made them white, someday ill trim n repaint.

View attachment 124366View attachment 124367View attachment 124368View attachment 124369View attachment 124370View attachment 124371View attachment 124372
Looking good. Pantherman

Thanks everyone very kind of you.

I also thought i would find a sailor kit for her and position them among the ship, but honestly i dont want to have to paint 50 or so 1/700 scale sailors LoL

Although the detail would be limited due to the size and it would probably just be basic colors. It might go faster than im thinking. If i can find a reasonable kit i may grab it for a later winter project.

Latest posts

Back