1/35 X-wing - Forced perspective Diorama

Re: 1/35 X-wing

Great to see you back at something you love! Might have to see if I can find one of those kits myself.
The servicing idea is great! Should make for a really interesting dio.

Where are planning to have this dio set Scott? Hoth, yavin, home one hangar etc?

Thanks for the kind words guys. Trying hard to finish this one - I sure struggle with that.

As for which base...None of the above really.

I'm thinking an unnamed small remote base. The scene is going to depict Jaina Solo's Red Eleven of Rogue Squadron. From the Expanded Universe books. She got in a space battle and her Xwing was seriously damaged but made it home.

This will show her team fixing it after that battle. You can read all about it here: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jaina_Solo

Eleven? Yup. Picture the markings of Red Six but each of the six stripes are broken to make 12, then don't paint one. Eleven.

I have some 1/35 female modern fighter pilots on the way...they will be modified to be female X-Wing pilots - well one at least.

The crane almost looks like something you would see on a carrier, but the scale from even a 1/350 crane would be way off......but that is what it looks like to me.

What a great idea, a nice back story. There needs to be more EU dio's!

YEah SCOTT,

Don't switch off Your targeting Computer .... "Stay on Target" . Th Crane design will come to ya as your Building !! I'm lookin forward to seein' more pix of th X-Wing !!!

I think I'll call this post: Are you sure man?

So I wasn't thrilled with the way the rubber wheels crane was going. I then realized I had this kit:

2528.jpg

I think a tracked vehicle will fit in well. I'll have to greeblie it up a bit so it's not such a dead giveaway Sherman - but it's still a sherman.

Here are some wheels:
2529.jpg

One thing I am doing is shortening it from 6 road wheels per side to 4. I have shortened the floor and the...other things. (What are they called?) Simply scored a line then razor sawed. Cleaned up the cut and reattached. I"m using scraped flakey sprue ribbons that I keep on hand to fill the seam. Just use Tamiya thin glue to pick up a ribbon of the sprue and gob it onto the seam. Works great. One side has a couple shims too. It'll need to setup overnight.

2530.jpg

A floor, control area and the actual lifting arm will sit ontop of these tracks.

Cool trick with the sprue ribbon as seam filler.

Coming along nicely. Seems you've finally settled on a solution for the crane vehicle, but I'll just throw a little thought at you here. Did you consider a walker vehicle?

I know there are some kits out there for walkers, but I found this cool piece of engineering which shows you what we can do today in the real world :- http://www.impactlab.net/2008/05/31/introducing-the-six-legged-logging-vehicle/

Thanks Igard. Thanks alot. Just what I need. Another battle with indecision!

Just kidding buddy.

Yeah, I'm gonna go with the tracks for sure but I love that walker machine. TOTALLY the type of arm I'm considering. Great ideas in that pic. Thanks.

logging-spider.jpg

Igard: Derailing other peoples model builds since 2011. ;D

I thought you might like that, but a tracked machine is definately more 'Rebelie' or 'New Republicie'. Walkers were the Empires thing. I think the Trade Federation had them too.

Wow! that machine would make my life easier!! But you have made very good start on the crane! keep up the good work. :)

if your looking to hide the Sherman look why not bring the side plate down lover the wheels and just show the track.

Good idea Spud. I was looking at the sandcrawler last night and ILM did something like that to it.

Gonna try something along those lines for sure.

On another note, the 1/35 female fighter pilots arrived this morning.

Here's what they look like:
con_YCiYaL.jpg

Here's an illustration of Jaina Solo:
Jaina%20Solo2.jpg

Not sure which figure I'll use. Probably the one on the left with the longer hair. The resin will be quite easy to work with and modify into X-Wing Pilot garb.

Here are a few more lady X-Wing pilot images.
X-wingPilot.jpg

n35801086_32793055_8381.jpg

tumblr_l37mz3PBjx1qa7yfto1_500.jpg

those figures are neat. and that chick with the light saber is Yum!

So excited about this build! Good choice on the figs, maybe the one on the right could be turned in to an alien species like cesi eirriss:
909397-cesi_eirriss_large.jpg

LOL - we're thinking the same. I was already considering converting a male pilot into Nrin Vakil. - This will need an alien species....and a gonk droid.

I really want to make lots of progress on the X-Wing first before I venture off into alien conversions.

150_nrin.jpg

Latest posts

Back