1/35 X-wing - Forced perspective Diorama

Re: 1/35 X-wing

great solution!
I just watched the vid. I must say, what a slippery little critter. Hope ya didn't hurt yourself. :)

Thanks for the comments guys. Hope to steal a few hours this afternoon and continue.

I think so....I know what you mean.

So I had an idea for the panels on the engine cans and engines. Why not use paper? - sticky label paper. On the studio models these panels are very..thin. Not a really high profile.

I drew some art in Corel and then printed it on label paper. I then took the label with the print and stuck that on a blank label and then again. So 3 layers thick of paper. Should be enough. I can do some small breeblie panels on the fuselange and wings with one or two layers too. Give some variation.

I think the paper should seal under primer as good as anything right?

Here's the art and a test:

3366.jpg
3367.jpg

panzerace007 said:
SCOTT,

WoW ! That Bottle Cap is the Shizzle Dogg !! Awesome ! Lookin Great !

Yeah ! Same Comment here... that Bottle Grip surface detail .... Idea of a GOD !!! you got my VOTE !

How hard was it to GLUE On ??? since its a Vinyl type plastic !!!

Take care ! and don't Stop

Have'nt tried gluing it yet....but it's so very thin, shuld be ok. I didn't smooth the backside perfectly so the CA will have some bite.

Great to hear you have a solution to this!! The only thing I have found that gives super glue trouble is the stuff that milk jugs are made of.

From my model rocket days, the paper should be fine, but do a test on scrap styrene first. You might have to seal up the paper. Fruit would know, since he is a paper modeler.

Fascinating. Sticky labels, bottle caps, guitar wire. What aren't you using on this thing? ;D

Maybe better to shoot it and see how it works
before you glue it.....oh wait you did glue it
right? Pretty cool solution hope it works like a charm! ;D

I've decided to go with thin styrene for the engine can panels and just use the paper ones on the engines. I need to add addition strip detail to the cans so paper isn't the best option.

Styrene is thin and working well. I might have pics later tonight if I get enough done.

A bit more tonight:

3370.jpg

3371.jpg

Below: The foreshortening of the photo makes the screen on the bottom appear off, but it does fill the space. This is just window screen. Thought I should give this area some detail and saw this in another build online.

3372.jpg

3373.jpg

Very fine detailing, Scott. Nice little mesh in that engine, and those panels look sharp!

Yep, it's lookin' very crisp and extremely precise Scott. Your scratchbuilding is getting cleaner by the day. Great stuff man!

Latest posts

Back