1/35 X-wing - Forced perspective Diorama

Re: 1/35 X-wing

Hey, that's awesome Scott! I know it's just a mock up but it looks really good. The scales are working and the effect is absolutely there. Tres cool!!

So now you're doing 3 hangars! :eek:

Looks like you've got the scales about right. I like it!

This is getting very interesting indeed.

Thanks.

Personally I think it's more math than luck. I guess luck will be required to actually finish it.

I'm gonna continue with the X-wing though. Finish that with the backwall. From there I can call it a day or continue. I will have to build it in sections and then place then behind each other and put the outer shell over it. This way I end up with 3 hangar scenes that are separate or can be viewed together as one.

The only drawback with that is the receding floor lines...but I think I have an idea for that too.

Also keep in mind that all the ships other than the 1/35 X will be build straight out of the box.

ModelMakerMike said:
You keep amazing me Scott, with your attention to all the tiny details and stuff.
I know how you must get.....IN THE ZONE...Ya get in there, and working on it, and next thing you know, it's 12 hours later, and you've almost finished one engine! :)
I love getting in that creative zone, where time flows differently.
I am looking forward to seeing this monster done......but until then.....RED FIVE STANDING BY!
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Totally. I think it's called the alpha state of mind.

Scott Girvan said:
Also keep in mind that all the ships other than the 1/35 X will be build straight out of the box.

Suuuuurre they will Scott......Suuuuurrrrre they will ;)

That sounds like a good approach, Scott. And IMO, luck is something that helps make a build better, it's not a requirement for making a good build.

The receding floor lines will be your biggest obsticle I think too. Interesting to see how the gridded cutting mat helps add to that effect of perspective too.

fumblethumbs said:
Scott Girvan said:

Suuuuurre they will Scott......Suuuuurrrrre they will ;)

They will, they will. Look, the A-wing it OOB! I built that last night in 1.5 hours. Just might open one panel...but only one. Promise.

LOL!

Looks like a nice plan, Scott.
Take it a stage at a time to avoid burnout, though

I agree, great idea. Something like this has crossed my mind before also. Model railroaders do it all the time. It's extremely hard to pull of when you have a wide range of viewing angles but I have seen it done well. In my own experience the best way to pull off forced perspective is with a shadow box. That allows you to really force the viewers perspective and gives you control over all the elements including lighting.

Here's a horrible video of an awesome example from the IPMS/USA Nats last month...

However you pursue it it's going to be great I'm sure!

YES!!! Love it!! Go for it Scott, why not bang an f-toys 1/144 x wing as well!

Thanks John!

I actually have another 1:43 MPC Xwing on the way...to go in the same hangar as the A-Wing. It will be Corran's Green Corsec one. Gonna build it straight OOB and rely on the paint job, not a pile of build detail.

A 1/44 way at the back would be neat though...just looked on eBay and it's $40...that's a bit insane. Must be a better price elsewhere...

Anyone know the scale of the Revel Easy Pocket Kit version?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-X-Wing-Fighter-EasyKit-Pocket-Revell-NEW-/160542226074?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25610ff69a

Yeah that's steep for a 1/144 model. Cant wait to see Corran's ride! And there should be a scale chart somewhere on the net that has the info on that easy kit. I can give you the 'body' of the x wing that was left over from my Tie ugly build? Don't know where that would fit in though?

Yeah, it's steep. The body...not sure what I would do with that.

My goal is to have one of each ship featured in the Rogue Squadron Game. So that means:

X, B, A, Y and V...but I'd have to scratch build it...and maybe a 1/44 speeder (snowspeeder) way at the back of the hangar. I'd change the paint job though.

Here's what I have on hand:

X - 1/35 and 1/43 (MPC)
A - 1/48 and 1/72 (MPC and Fantastic Plastic's Resin)
B - 1/72 and 1/95 (Fantastic Plastic's Resin and MPC)
Y - 1/72 (FineMolds)
SnowSpeeder - 1/44 (F-Toys)

That should be enough....

I'm thinking just one of each ship - other than 2 X-wings.

Sounds cool! Bet that fantastic plastic b wing is worth a few bob!

You mean price? I think it was like $80. I'd rather save it, the FP A-wing and the FM Y-wing for something else. If I could find a cheap Revell Y-Wing I'd rather use that for this dio. Since you don't see the detail as much due to the walls and stuff I'd rather not use the higher end kits.

I had seen a Revel Y in a bargain bin for $4 last spring and left it behind...dummy.

That pocket X-wing's about 1/100 or so, Scott.
Got one over here on my shelf

Cool. Thanks. That would work beside the AMT B-Wing which is around 1/95ish.

Latest posts

Back