1/35 X-wing - Forced perspective Diorama

Re: 1/35 X-wing

Scott Girvan said:
Oh, while I'm thinking of it. I thought that if I primer grey and then 'preshade' the panel lines with the edge of a black sharpie marker...just run it along the top of the raised panel lines making a nice crisp line...think that would work?

Looks great Scott, BIG project. Very cool. Just as a side note, I read somewhere in my travels that using a sharpie under paint as a pre-shade was a bad idea. The solvents or inks in the sharpie "bleed-through" successive paint layers over time. I'll see if I can find the link for you when I get home from work (I think I have it book marked).

BTW - McQuarrie Blue gets my vote (if you're counting) :)

JMac

Cool. Thanks. Don't stress over finding that article - I'm not going to try it.

The only question that remains is: would Rogue Squadron have a blue A-Wing?

I'm not stressing, just hiding out from doing real work right now.

I found it anyways...

http://www.ratomodeling.com/articles/pre_shading1/

I'm sure that, if you look online you will find someone who used sharpies for pre-shade and it worked out great, here's just a case where it did not...

JMac

Scott Girvan said:
The only question that remains is: would Rogue Squadron have a blue A-Wing?

You may have to go to a Star Wars forum and ask that question for a more definitive answer. I was under the impression that the Rogues used only red, but I could be wrong.

During the battle of Hoth they used the callsigns, Rogue 1, Rogue 2 etc. So what would be the point in using different coloured markings?

You could argue that since it makes no difference to the callsign, then they may well use different colours either as a personal preference, or because they couldn't afford, or have the time to re-paint.

It's Star Wars guys.... Just do it! Scott you are getting tangled in details...

60914_hellokittydarth.jpg

Nice article there, I will NOT use a sharpie to do preshading!

Norm, that is just WRONG!!!

I think they would, there a rag tag group of 'Rebels' grabbing whatever starships they can use I wouldnt of thought they cared to much about colour....saying that though, if its set after ROTJ they would have more cash at there disposal so they might start 'uniforming' there squadrons? I dunno just my 2 pence.

Well, I know Scott is a big fan of Wookieepedia so...

Rouge squadron was made up of the elite members of red squadron, after that many of the squadron names no longer relate to colors, names like Wraith Squadron, Rakehell Squadron etc.

I wonder if they could have simply replaced some panels on one ship from panels of another ship, this way you could paint up the ship in say 60% red markings with say 40% of the rest using blue markings. Might make for an interesting looking craft.

Interesting for sure. No, I don't want to get caught up in the details, just give it some thought and discussion that's all.

Off to find a way to attach the canopy, then I'll mask it and primer the Eh? wing

Maybe it was transferred from another squadron and is in the process of being re-painted from blue to red...

@merseajohn, That's a good point. This is the New Republic, not the old Rebel alliance anymore. I think that gives you some license to experiment. Heck, even do it up all shiny and aviod weathering fuss.

eh? Wing. LOL ;D

Nice Norm - a few good ones in there. I like the idea of a repaint very much...

So...the can of peas. Here's what eyes gots.

While holding my breath I drilled out a tiny hole in the frame of the clear part. Likewise position on the kit. Then I made 2 hydraulic things and drilled out 2 more holes beside the seat. You won't really see any hinge type thing...it's just to hold it in place. Photos show you what I mean.

3385.jpg

3386.jpg

3387.jpg

Excellent solution on that canopy, Scott.

I see it as a two piece, myself. But that's just me.

Run with what feels right

Cool - like Q says "feels right", opens up like other established Alliance fighters (ok - I mean X-wings ::) - no idea how a B-wing would open).

Scott Girvan said:
Nice Norm - a few good ones in there. I like the idea of a repaint very much...

So...the can of peas. Here's what eyes gots.

While holding my breath I drilled out a tiny hole in the frame of the clear part. Likewise position on the kit. Then I made 2 hydraulic things and drilled out 2 more holes beside the seat. You won't really see any hinge type thing...it's just to hold it in place. Photos show you what I mean.

3385.jpg

3386.jpg

3387.jpg

Nicely done Scott! Those little details really add to the authenticity of the engineering "feel" of this build. It looks "just right", Papa like it! ;D

Latest posts

Back