Good uses for old tamiya glue bottles

durangod

I washed the old jar out with alchohol then soap n water then thinner, soap n water again.

From time to time i do need small bottles for the shop for leftover liquids in small amounts. I dont want to contaminate another liquid or mix chemicals in case there is still glue residue in the jar. So i am considering how i can repurpose the jars.

Ideas?

That " glue " is all volatile solvent .
1/2 acetone , 1/2 butyl acetate .
No need for using paint thinner , that actually just adds something you need to remove .
Acetone and butyl acetate are both miscible in water so washing the bottle with hot water is all that's needed .
Those 2 solvents will evaporate completely all on their own too . No washing needed .

Last edited:
No need for using paint thinner , that actually just adds something you need to remove .
Acetone and butyl acetate are both miscible in water so washing the bottle with hot water is all that's needed .
Those 2 solvents will evaporate completely all on their own too . No washing needed .
So basically just leave the lid off........hehe. Pantherman

After some thought, it might be good for water to either water down some paint quickly, or rinse off a tamiya glue brush when gluing painted parts.

If acetone or alchohol would actually losen losen superglue then that would be a good use, but in my testing they do nothing to superglue.

It would be great for wood glue for the shop for small projects. I dont think the brush would hold up to the thick wood glue, but i could change out the brush as long as the mount stem holds up.

Uh-oh! Chemistry! :)

I haven't finished a bottle of Tamiya glue yet, but I have finished jars of the X/XF paint and I reuse those. I like the interior seal. I use them for carrying small working amounts in my tool kit, for mixing colors, and for dry product, like mixes of powdered pastel chalk, things like that.

I used to reuse Model Master jars, and also little jam and jelly jars, but the Tamiya jars work better for me. I can recommend using them.

I forgot you did tell me that, oops my memory sucks.

First i tried hydrogin peroxide (?) with a brush, nothing. Then i went to the shop n got some acetone, still nothing after 30 min of applying with brush. I finally had to break the part to remove it.

Yes, i wanted to remove the ratlines from my ship i had them on backwards at first, but they did not move at all.

Maybe the acetone was too old, its been at least 6mo since i used that bottle.

Acetone wouldn't debond super glue ?
No idea .
makes no sense -- especially with that amount of exposure to it

Unless ,
the acetone degraded the CA joint but there was enough acetone to also solvent weld the styrene at the same time .
Traded one bond for another ?

Latest posts

Back