Remembering a Hero

Installed the instrument panels, with knobs, do-hickies, thingamabobs, and gizmos — which I know for a fact thats what they are called as a guy whose sister's best friend's brother is friends with this other guy whose brother was a boyscout and said those are the true technical terms.
So, why should I doubt such solid information?

20240729_015936.jpg

20240729_015943.jpg

20240729_020002.jpg

Awesome work Gary, do keep this thread updated.

I'd had an early F4 on my wish list for a while, but seeing this has put it squarely into the "next" slot. Just ordered the 1/48 Tamiya F4-B! I think I'll do the USS Midway version, was kinda hoping to do a USAF version but looks like all the decal sets are USN/USMC.

The Phantom will go nicely on the shelf with the 1968 Mig-21 :)

Awesome work Gary, do keep this thread updated.

I'd had an early F4 on my wish list for a while, but seeing this has put it squarely into the "next" slot. Just ordered the 1/48 Tamiya F4-B! I think I'll do the USS Midway version, was kinda hoping to do a USAF version but looks like all the decal sets are USN/USMC.

The Phantom will go nicely on the shelf with the 1968 Mig-21 :)
Thank you

This step is very fiddly with delicate parts of which I broke a part on each and tried to repair.(indicated by arrows)
I am learning that a test of patience is needed with this kit.

20240729_154320.jpg

20240729_155515.jpg

20240729_154715.jpg

20240729_162800.jpg

Screenshot_20240729_163307_Gallery.jpg

I think it looks FANTASTIC!

Would you mind writing out the details of how you achieved the heat-staining?

(it looks like you might have squeezed some rainbow juice out of a unicorn)

I think it looks FANTASTIC!

Would you mind writing out the details of how you achieved the heat-staining?

(it looks like you might have squeezed some rainbow juice out of a unicorn)
How did I achieve the staining? Honestly I think it was all luck.
When I go back upstairs I'll try to remember the acrylic colors I used, along with Tamiya weathering compacts, and pastels.

For the heat-stained exhaust I combined Mission Models USN/USMC Sea Blue, Vallejo Model Air Black 71.047 & aluminum 71.062 and a little bit of windex (I use windex to clean my brushes and airbrush). These three colors are the base (sorry I dont have a formula, I just mixed it to eye). It is kind of a dark Navy blue with the aluminum metallic to give it a metal look.
First I sprayed the ports with Vallejo Aluminum.
Then I cut 2 thin strips of Tamiya tape, about ⅛" thick and about 2" long, and applied around the exhaust.
Next, I lightly sprayed the thinned metallic Navy blue mixture.
After that was dry I removed the tape and added the blue wash to the silver strip then I used the Tamiya Weathering Master gunmetal to blend the blue stripes. I then added orange rust and blue pastel and blended all together.
To finish I added Orange Rust to the back of the exhaust and blended a little gunmetal to it.

20240731_195651.jpg

20240731_195749.jpg

Installed the instrument panels, with knobs, do-hickies, thingamabobs, and gizmos — which I know for a fact thats what they are called as a guy whose sister's best friend's brother is friends with this other guy whose brother was a boyscout and said those are the true technical terms.
So, why should I doubt such solid information?

View attachment 120979

View attachment 120980

View attachment 120981
Way too technically with the control panels............ hehe. Stick to red know thing and white knob thing. Pantherman

Latest posts

Back